Barking and Dagenham Handyperson Scheme
This new service, starting in January 2016, can arrange for a visit to your home to carry out small jobs you find difficult to do, that will reduce hazards and so prevent falls. Jobs that are not the responsibility of someone else to get done and that you cannot get anyone else to help you with.
Anyone* who lives in their own home or rented property can access the scheme if he/she:
- is 65 and over OR;
- has a disability or is vulnerable OR;
- is being or has recently been discharged from hospital or;
- is at high risk of falling due to a medical condition
- *Proof of eligibility may be needed and priority will be given to clients who live on their own, or where all household members meet the criteria.
What work can the Handyperson do?
The handyperson can do lots of small jobs. Examples include:
- fitting grab rails
- making loose carpets and trailing wires safe
- moving small items of furniture around
- one-off gardening work to make your garden safer
- Any other small jobs to make your home safer and free from trip hazards
If you have any queries about any jobs you need doing please do not hesitate to contact us and we will advise if we can do it. The type of work is limited to small DIY type jobs taking no more than half a day to carry out.
What will it cost?
This is a FREE service to all who meet the eligibility criteria so you will not have to pay the cost of any materials nor is there a labour charge.